Senior DevOps Engineer
in San Francisco
Have you heard of Imgur? We are the best place in the world to find and enjoy the most entertaining content. Every day, gazillions of people use Imgur to be entertained and inspired by the best images, memes, and videos from all around the globe. Since our Founder/CEO Alan Schaaf started Imgur in his college dorm room back in 2009, we have been on a mission to discover and surface the world's most entertaining content!
We invite you to join us and help us build the next suite of products that lifts people's spirits for a few moments every day. Imgur is the third most popular entertainment destination in the US! You will be responsible for a product that has over 60 billionviews per month.
Should you choose to join our mission - you would be on a team that boasts the largest user-to-engineer ratio in the world. This means you will have a pivotal role in a small but top-notch DevOps team that designs, builds, and manages truly large scale systems. You will be doing all of this in a insanely fast-paced environment where everything counts - performance, reliability, scalability, and security.
Behind the scenes, Imgur is a ridiculously high-performing platform (99.997% uptime at 60ms response time) built on hundreds of servers and containers in the “cloud”. Imgur Engineering is also super excited about a re-architecture project we recently kicked off. We are in the middle of transforming from a PHP shop to a Go/Kubernetes shop. We would love to talk to you about the progress we’ve made so far as well as the challenges ahead.
Our ideal Senior DevOps Engineer candidate would have implemented and managed literally every aspect of a world-class production environment: from 3rd Party CDNs, application servers, sql and nosql databases, async stream processors, storage systems, all the way down to network and kernel settings, plus CI/CD pipelines. The Engineer must be self-directed and prepared to scale their own responsibilities along with the company. We are looking for someone that is passionate about multi-faceted, large scale systems that serves billions of users on a daily basis.
- Architect, implement, and optimize Imgur’s software infrastructure stack.
- Ensure reliability, scalability, and operability of Imgur’s production software components.
- Build Automation and Tools to deploy, configure, and manage Imgur’s applications.
- Troubleshoot stability and performance issues.
- Participate in one of our 24x7 on-call teams.
Required Experience and Skills:
- This is a senior level position that requires 7+ years managing world class production systems either as a DevOps Engineer, an SRE, or a Production Engineer.
- CS degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience operating cloud-based environments such as AWS, GCP, or Azure strongly preferred.
- Expertise in either systems (preferred!), databases, or Networks (layer 3 and higher).
- Experience with configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet), Kubernetes, monitoring (sensu, datadog, etc).
- Demonstrate strong scripting skills to develop custom tools and automation.
- Thorough understanding of best practices related to performance, disaster recovery, and security.
- Clear written and verbal communication is a must.
ExPLORE Other RoleS
Sr Product Designer
Create cutting-edge, super-functional products that people love to use.
Sales Director - East
Evangelize Imgur’s programmatic ad offerings, build relationships with brands, agencies and trading desks, help shape and develop our strategy in order to optimize and grow premium revenue for Imgur’s programmatic business.
Sr Product Manager
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer, you will be applying large-scale data mining, machine learning, and information retrieval techniques to help build a powerful and reactive search and discovery engine.