Senior Software Engineer
Imgur was founded in 2009 as a simple image hosting platform and over the past seven years has evolved into the world’s largest image sharing community. We have grown from having 46,000 page views per month in February 2009 to over seven billion page views per month in February 2016 (with 900 billion images viewed in 2015 alone). We are now a top-15 visited site in the United States and our opportunity for future growth is massive. As we continue to expand internally and externally, we are looking to add a talented backend engineer to our smart, fun, and quirky culture to help us achieve our goals for growth and scalability.
Our vision is to lift the world’s spirits for a few moments every day. We accomplish this by surfacing the world’s most entertaining content. With every submission having the potential to go viral, our highly-engaged community is integrally important to our product and we want to ensure we continually delight and surprise our users.
Please note: This is a remote job for senior engineers that have worked remote before.
You are a senior+-level software engineer who thrives on building highly-scalable backend solutions. You enjoy working with a small and Agile team that is tasked with developing core features and functions while also focusing on stability and performance issues. You are comfortable building things from scratch and working autonomously. You will have input into which technologies we use moving forward. Most importantly - you’re excited about working on a product that our highly-engaged community loves and deploying code to our 175M monthly active users.
- Write systems in PHP5, Golang, and/or node.js (previous knowledge not necessary, but willingness to learn is)
- Work with and become an expert in datastores such as MySQL, DynamoDB, HBase, etc.
- Collaborate with a small but extraordinarily talented team of front-end and back-end engineers
- Own the Tests, CI tools, Chef recipes, StatsD monitoring, logging, and alerting for your software.
What you bring to the table:
- BS (or higher) in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of professional experience with backend technologies
- Experience in PHP5, Go, and/or Node.js is helpful, but we won't hold it against you if you're a Java or C/C++ expert
- The ability to comfortably program in a Unix environment and knowledge of Unix commands
- A passion for beautiful, pragmatic code paired with a strong sense of product design
- Experience with distributed systems a huge plus!
- Competitive salary, fully covered medical/dental/vision
- 401k matching
- 25 days of PTO per year
- Gym stipend
- Passion fund - $500 a year towards your favorite passion or something you’ve always wanted to try
- Commuter/parking benefits
- Opportunity to work on the world’s largest image sharing community!
Above all: As we grow, so will you. Interested? Click apply and let’s begin the journey together.
ExPLORE Other RoleS
Sr Product Designer
Create cutting-edge, super-functional products that people love to use.
Sales Director - East
Evangelize Imgur’s programmatic ad offerings, build relationships with brands, agencies and trading desks, help shape and develop our strategy in order to optimize and grow premium revenue for Imgur’s programmatic business.
Sr Product Manager
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer, you will be applying large-scale data mining, machine learning, and information retrieval techniques to help build a powerful and reactive search and discovery engine.